Basic Cookie Recipe
- 200g unsalted butter
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 400 plain flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
Cream butter and sugar together. Beat in the egg and vanilla essence until well combined. Add the flour. Mix until a dough is formed. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for at least 1 hour. Place the dough on a floured surface and briefly knead. Roll out to 5mm even thickness. Cut out your cookies using cookie cutters. Place on a lined baking tray. Place in the fridge again for 30 mins. Pre-heat oven to 180C 350F Gas Mark 4. Bake for 10-12 mins until golden brown at the edges.
How to make cookie lollies
- Take a reasonably large cookie cutter.
- Cut out a shape.
- To insert the cookie stick gently hold down the cookie with one hand.
- Using the other hand, slowly twist the stick into the cookie.
- Using the spare dough cover any parts of the cookie where you can see the stick poking out. Gently press it down.
- Flip the cookie back over and it is ready to place on a baking tray (greased or using a reusable liner)
- Chill the cookies for 30 minutes before placing in the oven for 10-12 mins (180C, 350F or Gas Mark 4).
- Once cooled you can either decorate the front or the back of the cookie.
- If using sugar paste then roll it out and cut it out using the same cutter as you used for the cookie. Stick it to the cookie by using either water, piping gel or a thin layer of glace icing. You can then build up the pattern using different cutters.